The Usefulness of Catalogues
Catalogs are easy to use in every sense. They are retail environments that the customer controls. The customer can compare, contrast, and browse in comfort and at leisure. The purchase can be discussed with friends or family. There is no one trying to push a product or close a sale.
Catalogs include multiple products and messages. They should present content in the most digestible way, with strong branding and clear navigation, well-presented product and service benefits, and a clear call to action.
Certain features of catalogs ensure their long term success, as enumerated below.
1) Powerful product images — Images are an influential reference point for shoppers. Irrespective of the nature of the products, customers have high expectations. Quality photography is therefore essential. Powerful product images are capable of grabbing the shopper’s attention. It is important to know when it is okay to get creative and when it is essential to stay clean and simple. For instance, Billabong’s catalogs are thoughtful copies paired with beautiful images that capture emotions easily. The images in Annie Selke’s catalogs not only give shoppers a sense of structure but also provide a beautiful frame of reference.
2) Product descriptions — Shoppers want to compare and contrast options. Hence, product descriptions need to present the key features and, if possible, the associated benefits in a logical order that enables direct comparison. Product descriptions can provide value to the readers. They should make the customers want to read more. Product descriptions in COOP’s catalogs are accompanied by stories of the designers, which add personality .
3) Use product videos — Product videos can enrich a catalog. Tupperware uses product videos actively in its catalogs. As many of their products require assembly, they use the videos as an effective way to show how easy the products are to assemble and use. In its product videos, Mango uses models and scenery to make its products appeal to the viewer. Customers can see how the products will look on a real person, in an everyday scenario.
4) Explanation of the ordering procedure — A clear description of the ordering procedure is extremely helpful for customers. If there are options for ordering various services and products, they should be explained well. The customers should be informed about the delivery time and given all the details about where the product can be picked up so that they are not confused about anything. It is better to set expectations lower than to set the bar way too high.
5) Create links- It is important to link a catalog to the website of a business. This can improve the buyer’s journey. The link can be in the product pages or in the ‘About us’ page. It also makes it easy for customers to shop directly from the catalog. With the attention span reducing every day, the more steps the customer has to take to buy, the less likely they are to make a purchase.